Monday 14 November 2016

Picking the worst day....

It's Saturday morning, the temperature is about -12 centigrade, and I am on my way to Son. I'm going down to the boat, and getting it ready for winter. I've arranged to meet Øyvind, who has some tarps to go over the boat, and we are going to get it ready together.

I arrived first, but Øyvind rolled in right after me. A quick hello, and we were all business. Winter preparation mode ensued.

With the boat on the hard, it was first necessary to get a ladder out. Luckily, Øyvind brought one with him. I shall have to add that to my list of things to buy for next year. (Step ladder, folding type.)

We started by removing various things from the boat. Cockpit tent frame, all the canvas from it and the spray hood, the sails, etc. Dock lines and fenders were stored in the lazarette, and sails dropped overboard. No chance of delicately handing them down.

Lifelines were next, then stanchions. After that, it was just a question of figuring out how the tent frame went together.

Thanks to the cold, i was a nasty, difficult job. But it is done now. The boat should be relatively winter proof. Time will tell.

I exchanged numbers with the nearest neighbor, Asgeir, who was also prepping his boat. I feel bad about not offering to help him, but I was so desperate to get out of the cold that I scampered away as soon as we were done.

Thanks for the help, Øyvind. I could not have done it without you!

So the boat is on the hard. What do I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment